Saturday 24 October 2009

That Love-Gum Of Yours Was Just An X-cuse

For this song, Shashi Kapoor had his face altered to look like me when I was much younger.

The tune (from the film: MY LOVE), with its laid-back modern-sounding composition was sung by Mukesh Jee in 1970 when I was giving him singing lessons, and correcting grammatical mistakes in Anand Bakshi's Urdu lyrics. It was such a wonderful time!

The title of the song is the same as that of the I-log. The issue at hand is that elusive love-gum. I have no idea why an incurable hard-core Urdu-daan might wish to translate that word into Urdu 'gham' (sadness).

In the first 32 seconds, the film director shows us five couples walking hand in hand. I recall advising him not to do so, afraid that that would upset the starved communist (note his red T-shirt) hero.

Now for the English lyrics:

********************************

That love-gum of yours was just an x-cuse, my stone-idol
My horoscope-based kismet was such that my zipper got stuck

[Morantic 8-bar piano lead based on a great chord progression, followed by 4-bars of sexo-phone, topped with a Conga drum roll]

If this love-gum hadn't oozed, others' love-gum might have [guitar-lick with real 1960s tremolo effect]
I'm the one who had to cry while assuming every objectionable position
Even if I had smiled, my bedroom eyes would have overflowed
My horoscope-based kismet was such that my zipper got stuck

[Morantic 8-bar strings section melody based on the same great chord progression, followed by 4-bars of sexo-phone, topped with a Conga drum roll]

What can it be? You're not a terrorist based in Wana
Inside your brassiere their exists a heart, not a stone (from NWFP)
You've given me a taste of that SM, and I'll construe it as such
My horoscope-based kismet was such that my zipper got stuck

[At 3:35 the real hero, a young dog appears behind the doggone hero on a wet street]

That love-gum of yours was just an x-cuse, my stone-idol
My horoscope-based kismet was such that my zipper got stuck

[At 3:45, a most satanic thought enters the numbed brain of the fake communist hero: to molest a mannaquin!]

[A quickie zoom on the fake hero's perverted face]

----THEEND----

No comments: